Sunday, October 22, 2006

First Kiss

Dave often mentions the World Cup (in 2002, before we started dating) and thinks I watched it with him only as an excuse to hang out with him in the middle of the night in hopes that something would happen between us. He's told that story many times. I would like to go on the official record (this blog) and say that is ridiculous and absolutely not true. In my defense, I truly was interested in the World Cup because even though I am not normally a soccer fan, I thought it was important to be informed about the single most popular sports event in the world. It just so happened that these games were on at 5:00 a.m. and I didn't have cable, so I went over to Dave-the-soccer-fan's house a few times in the early morning to catch the games. Contrary to what he and his roommate think, I was not over there to hit on him.

It wasn't until almost a year later that I made the first big move in our relationship. In March 2003 we were in Tahoe for Erik B's 30th bday bash (the greatest outpouring of love and friendship I have ever seen for anyone's birthday -- Erik is popular). One afternoon, while others hit the ski resorts, Dave took me cross country skiing at Fallen Leaf Lake. It was a beautiful day, gorgeous weather, and fresh snow on the ground. In the 6 months or so before this, we had started hanging out a lot and he had become one of my closest friends. That afternoon at Fallen Leaf Lake, we skied out to a pretty spot by the water, with an incredible view of the mountains across the lake. I walked out on a log near the bank and got Dave to come out too. While we were sitting and chatting on the end of the log, with barely a thought in my head, I kissed him. It's not like me to do anything that impulsive without thinking about the consequences but in the moment it just seemed like the only, perfect thing to do. Later that weekend we of course had the obligatory "talk" (aka the RDT or DTR -- for those of you who went through Intervarsity with me) and started dating that week. Even though I adored Dave I wasn't exactly thinking long-term or marriage at that point -- all we did was take it one day at a time and now here we are. :)

1 Comments:

At 10:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh yea--i remember this. i forgot where i was that weekend, but i wasn't there. but i do remember hearing all about it. SHE DID IT! SHE REALLY DID IT!!! nice job, missyuanna. love, jen martin

 

Post a Comment

<< Home