Monday, October 16, 2006

Asking for permission

So, before I proposed I had to ask Jen's dad for permission, without Jen's mom, sister, or Jen finding out. I didn't want to call him at home because I was afraid Jen's mom, Lily, would find out, and he does not have a cell phone. So, I ended up searching the internet for a phone number to the power plant down in San Onofre, he works for Southern California Edison. I search and search and search and all I find is customer service for SCE customers. For some reason they don't readily give out the phone number to power plants.
I decide to try customer service. "Southern California Edison, this is _____ speaking, can I get your customer number?" "Uh, uh, I don't have a customer number. You might not be able to help me, uhm, but, so, I'm trying to get ahold of my girlfriend's father because I want to ask his permission to marry her." "Oh, uhm, let me see what I can do, hold on" I hold for a few minutes and then she comes back and says, "I can't give you his phone number, but I can email him and have him call you back, what is his name?" So, she finds his name and asks for my name and number and she says "okay, I'll have him call you." "WAIT! Can you add something to that?" "Sure." So, I tell her to write "Dan, please call me, do not tell Jen, Iris or Lily, its a surpise."
5 Minutes later I'm in my office and the phone rings. I forgot about the permission thing and then I look at my phone, "oh crap," my heart starts thumping, a little short of breath, I rush around the corner to the conference room, and I sit down and answer. "Dan, hi" "Hi Dave, what's up?" "I'm sorry for calling you at work" etc. etc. then I tell him how I love his daughter and want to take care of her for the rest of her life and would like his permission to marry Jen. He says "ofcourse"(I think that was the quote). And thats it. I was ready, just had to pick up the ring after work. And ask her.

1 Comments:

At 2:45 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

Good job asking, Dave! I'm impressed with your sneakyness!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home